Creativity that Breaks New Ground - Data Culture #22
Artificial Intelligence | Visualizations
Giacomo Miceli created an infinite conversation between the German filmmaker Werner Herzog and the Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Žižek. How did he do it? He trained an artificial intelligence using texts and interviews of the interlocutors. Imagine the possibilities!
This project wants to raise awareness of the misuse of machine learning, such as misinformation and impersonation but also highlights the need to learn how to use and relate to these new technologies.
About Giacomo, we tell you that he is a creative coder, entrepreneur, computer scientist, and an old friend of Datasketch. In our House, we presented some of his algorithmic artworks in the exhibition “Alternating multilinear forms v1½” last year, such as WikiBinge.
Beautiful information receives awards.
On November 30, the “Information is Beautiful Awards” winners were announced. The awards included different categories for subjects, studies, people and books. Gender and language went through this newsletter and received the gold medal in the “People, languages and identity” category. For this and more projects, Reuters won the winning study award.
Meet some of the nominees who won our hearts:
🏰 All the castles of Spain (es) | El Confidencial | “Arts, entertainment and culture” category.
🧍🏾 Sweet and thin, greasy and grim: the physical traits that define men and women in literature | The Pudding. “People, languages and identity” category.
🎭 DivineComedy.digital | The Visual Agency | “Art, entertainment and culture” category.
👁️🗨️ Data Beyond Vision | Center for the Digital Humanities at Princeton University | “Unusual” category.
Five things we like
- 🎁 Spotify Wrapped, unwrapped: Spotify spies on us, and we love it | Vox. The streaming platform demographically profiles your data to show you what you like.
- 🔒 The top “tech” from the *Privacy Not Included research team | Mozilla on Instagram. The team listed the products with the best privacy policies.
- 🗣️ Holly Herndon: How AI can transform your voice | TED on TikTok. This artist cloned her voice with artificial intelligence to power music.
- 🇩🇪 Berlin with and without the Wall in photos | Berliner Morgenpost. This project shows various locations of Berlin before and after the Wall.
- ⭕ Enclaves and exclaves: a tour of the world’s geographically sunken and orphaned places | John Nelson. The stories on maps make this a very entertaining geography course.